Why Do You Need a Wi-Fi Site Survey?
Wi-Fi. We tend to take it for granted. It seems to be everywhere – in our homes, our offices, the cafés we like, even in open-air public places. While not being able to check your Facebook feed while you’re enjoying your latte isn’t a tragedy, when your Wi-Fi coverage leaves to be desired in the office, everything seems to grind to a halt.
You may not need Wi-Fi coverage planning for your flat, but your office is a whole different story. Here’s why:
- The era of BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) has completely transformed the office environment. You need to ‘budget’ in your employees’ devices, along with those that belong to the company. Every day, more devices are brought in to the workplace.
- The larger the building, the more building materials have been used to erect it. Each of these materials (concrete, brick, metal) interfere with RF signals differently. Wireless survey companies like ACCL can map out and factor in each of them.
- Furniture can also interfere with the signal. Cubicles, conference rooms and various partitions can hamper the performance of your Wi-Fi network.
- Preparing for emerging tech trends: IoT (Internet of Things) transforms the way we think about connectivity. We don’t simply need to connect the devices to an AP (access point). We also need to connect devices with each other.
- Without a Wi-Fi site survey, network managers typically place Aps randomly. When the signal I spoor they add more APs. But this leads to interference and connectivity issues. In the long run, it can cost you a lot of money and time to fix everything.
- Scalability: proper Wi-Fi network planning enables you to easily scale up or down when your business changes. A wireless survey will tell you how to effectively plan for years to come.
- For a small area, a heat mapping software can be enough. Cisco Meraki survey or Ubiquiti wireless site survey are tools that a network manager can use to avoid dead zones. But for larger offices and special buildings like hospitals, working with a wireless survey company like ACCL is the only way to ensure that every factor is taken into consideration and that your Wi-Fi network will work properly.
- If your building also has a large outdoor area (a yard, a stadium), an outdoor wireless site survey can help you determine what the best way to cover the entire space is. Outdoor spaces have their own particularities and it’s easy to lose sight of other networks that can interfere with yours. This is why a professional wireless survey is critical
- You can improve the security of your network. A wireless security survey can tell you if there are any weak points in your network and how to mitigate the risks of breaches and data leaks.